The LCD2S-162FHA is a Serial LCD Character Display Module with a high speed SPI/I2C serial bus. The LCD display is a 2×16 character FSTN display(better contract than standard TN and STN) with an Amber LED backlight, and is RoHS compliant. A LCD2S-162 is soldered onto the back of the LCD display. It enables the LCD display to be controlled via an I2C or SPI serial bus. The contrast and backlight are software controlled, and can be set to 254 levels.
The LCD2S-162 includes a 4×4 (16 button) matrix keypad encoder with software debouncing. A keypad with up to 16 buttons (4 rows by 4 columns) can be added to the display via a standard 10 pin, 2.54mm header. Our 12 button or 16 button keypads can be used, and can be connected to the LCD2S-162 via the CAB16RIB150 ribbon cable. When using the I2C serial bus, an interrupt line will be activated when a key is pressed, informing the user that there is key data to be read. Alternatively the LCD2S-162 can be polled to see if it has any pending keypad data.
The LCD2S-162 also has 5 user configurable, general purpose inputs/outputs. Two of them can deliver up to 1000mA each, and have protection circuitry for driving relays.
The LCD used must supports 4 bit mode. All 16×2 Character Modules sold on our site support 4 bit mode, and nearly all commercially available LCD Character Modules support it too. The LCD2S-162 has a high speed SPI/I2C serial bus. For convenience the I2C and SPI signals are available via a Micro Match type connector, and a standard 2.54mm, 2×6 row pin header. Most new Modtronix SBC boards have Micro Match connectors, and can be connected to the LCD2S-162 using these 150mm or 300mm cables. Or, the conn-micmat6-MW Micro Match connector can be used to create a custom cable.
A 2-way DIP switch is used to configure the unit for SPI or I2C operation (3 different addresses). See our forum for many I2C, SPI, Arduino and other code examples.
Download the datasheets below for further details on this product, and list of all commands.
|Click to enlarge|
- Can be controlled via a high speed SPI or I2C bus. Both busses can operate at speeds close to 1Mbits/sec!
- Large number of LCD commands for moving cursor, moving display and more
- Up to 8 custom characters can be defined, a utility for creating custom characters is available here
- Built in commands for drawing Bar Graphs
- LCD Backlighting controlled via software, has 254 brightness levels
- LCD Contrast controlled via software, has 254 contrast levels
- User configurable start up screen
- 80 Byte buffer for messages received via serial interface
- Two high current, open collector outputs with output currents up to 1000mA each, and relay protection circuitry
- 3 general purpose input/output pins
- Keypad encoder for a keypad up to 16 keys (4 rows by 4 columns)
- Keypad has a configurable button repeat delay and repeat rate
- Can be configured to sound a buzzer (connected to OUT2) each time a button is pressed
- 6 Pin Micro Match connector with I2C, SPI and power signals
- Standard 10 Pin (1×10), 2.54mm connector for connecting a keypad of up to 4 rows by 4 columns
- Standard 10 Pin (5×2), 2.54mm connector with user outputs, I2C, SPI and power signals
- DIP switch for setting serial mode and I2C address
- Low current consumption – without LCD backlight is about 4mA
- High quality machine assembly, with brand name, quality components:
- All electrolytic capacitors used are extra long life Panasonic brand, which is 5 times more than standard!
- PCB is Gold plated for best contact and no corrosion
- All pin headers are gold plated for best possible contact
- Lead free, RoHS compliant assembly
- Number of Characters: 16 characters x 2 Lines
- Character Table: English-European (RS in Datasheet)
- Module dimension: 80.0mm x 36.0mm x 13.2mm(MAX)
- View area: 66.0 x 16.0 mm
- Active area: 56.2 x 11.5 mm
- Dot size: 0.56 x 0.66 mm
- Dot pitch: 0.60 x 0.70 mm
- Character size: 2.96 x 5.46 mm
- Character pitch: 3.55 x 5.94 mm
- LCD type: STN, Positive, Transflective
- Duty: 1/16
- View direction: Wide viewing angle
- Backlight Type: Amber LED
- RoHS Compliant: lead free
- Operating Temperature: -20°C to + 70°C
|LCD Character Module Datasheet (for LCD module only, does not include SPI/I2C Daughter Board documentation)|
|LCD2S I2C/SPI Daughter Board Manual V1.40. To see what has changed in current version, click here|
|SPI and I2C Examples, Source Code and user forum|
|Example projects written in C.|
|Web based utility for creating custom characters|
What is included
- 1 x Serial LCD Display
1 x Item as described above