This product has been retired. DO NOT use for new designs. It is still available in limited quantities.
Compact SBC for 28 pin PIC with RS485 and CAN BUS interface - fully assembled (CPU not included).
The SBC44B is an embedded Single Board Computer (SBC) for the PIC16 and PIC18 family of microcontrollers. It has a RS232 interface assembled, and sockets for the following I2C chips:
- RTC, for example the DS1307
- EEPROM, for example the 24LC256 or 24LC512 (64 kbytes).
- RS485 interface driver, for example the MAX485, SP485...
- CAN BUS driver, for example the MCP2551.
- MCP23008 8 Bit I/O Port Expander.
A high accuracy, 20ppm, 32.768 kHZ crystal for the RTC is already assembled. All that is needed for the RTC to work is for a RTC chip to be plugged in. The board is also shipped with a 5 pin 3.81mm terminal block plug that plugs into the boards terminal block header - as shown in the above photo.
The RS232 interface uses the 9 pin Sub-D connector (DTE). The 5 pin phoenix connector can be configured for RS485 or CAN BUS. When configured as a RS485 interface, the PIC chip's internal USART will be used for the RS485 interface, and the RS232 interface has to be driven by software. When configured as a CAN BUS a PIC chip with an internal CAN peripheral has to be used, like the PIC18F458 for example.
It has been optimized for any 44 pin PLCC PIC chip with an USART and I2C hardware peripheral, like the:
- PIC16C65, PIC16C67
- PIC16F74, PIC16F747, PIC16F77, PIC16F777, PIC16F877(A)
- PIC18F452, PIC18F458, .....
- Many more 44 pin PLCC PIC chips with USART and I2C peripherals.
This is only because the above mentioned chips have internal USARTs and I2C peripherals, which are connected to the serial drivers and I2C chips on this board. It can however also be used with most other 44 pin PLCC PIC chips, as long as their power, reset(MCLR) and oscillator pins are situated in the same place as the chips listed above. The only difference is that if it hasn't got a hardware USART or I2C peripheral, it will have to be done with software on the PIC chip.
- 33 I/O ports when using common PIC chips, for example the PIC16F876A or PIC18F252.
- 8 Analog inputs when using PIC chips with ADC units, for example the PIC16F877A or PIC18F452.
- Is part of our MicroX product range, and has a Frontend and Compact Daughter board connector for expansion. For details see www.modtronix.com/microx.
- Compact size of 97mm x 54mm. For details see www.modtronix.com/microx/dimensions.
- Assembled with High Quality, Industrial Temperature components - electrolytic capacitors used are extra long lifetime rated!
- Diode protected 2.1mm power connector for a standard DC transformer.
- Wide operating voltage range from 7 – 30V.
- On board 15kV ESD protected RS485 interface. Assembled with industrial temperature range interface driver chip.
- Sub-d 9 pin male connector (DTE configuration) with ground and RS232 Tx and Rx signals.
- 5 pin 3.81mm terminal block connector with RS485 or CAN BUS signals (when CAN interface driver is assembled), ground and external power.
- The power pin on the 5 pin terminal block connector can be connected to the boards unregulated power supply (the input of the 2.1mm power connector) via a strap. This can be used to:
- Provide power for all other boards daisy chained to this one. For this to work this board must be powered via its 2.1mm power connector! It will supply power to all other boards daisy chained to it.
- Obtain power for this board. In this case no power has to be supplied via the 2.1mm power connector. It will obtain it's power via the 5 pin terminal block connector.
- Power LED to indicate when device is powered.
- Socket for a I2C Serial EEPROM to be fitted. For example the 24LC256 (32 kbytes), 24LC512 (64 kbytes).....
- Socket for a RS485 (SP485, MAX485...) or CAN BUS (MCP2551) interface driver chip to be fitted.
- Socket for an I2C bus RTC (DS1307 for example) chip to be fitted, the 32kHZ clock crystal is already assembled.
- Micro Match socket with Power, I2C and SPI signals. The Micro Match connector can be used to daisy chain multiple I2C devices together, like our LCD2S Serial LCD displays with keyboard decoder. For details, click here.
- Has an ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) connector (ICPC1 type) - CPU can be programmed in circuit. For details see Programming Modtronix PIC based boards.
For more details regarding expansion options, see product page on old site.
This board has a daughter board connector, allowing following board to be plugged into it:
Documentation, Details, Schematics, Example Code...
For more details and documentation, see product page on old site. Some information from old site still has to be copied to this new product page.
What is included
- 1 x SBC Board
- 1 x 5 Pin 3.81mm Terminal Block Plug (TB05P-F381-R4)
1 x Item as described above